We will teach life lessons through football. Our goal is not only to win, but to win and build character in the young people placed under our care. We will do this by emphasizing three core values: commitment, teamwork and pride.Commitment is crucial to success in football and in life. We will ask each player to “buy in “ to the philosophy on which the program is built. Making this type of commitment allows each player to contribute to the teams success, and helps create a unified goal. Commitment is the most important individual value student-athletes can have. If our athletes will develop commitment to their coaches and fellow teammates, it will help them develop the same type of commitment in other areas of their lives such as their relationship with God, family and career. Teamwork is the second core value we will strive to instill. In football, success depends on a group of coaches communicating the game plan effectively to the team. The eleven players on the field must in turn work together as a single unit in order to accomplish their task. In life, teamwork is evident in each family, ministry, school and workplace. Teamwork involves trust, concern for a common goal, knowledge of what is required, and a relationship with those around you. Pride is defined by Webster as “to value”. While in many ways we see pride as sinful and selfish, in this sense we refer to is as valuing our position in Christ and who we are in Him.
Successful performance in the class room must be the top priority for each student-athlete. Success in this area will only contribute to an athlete’s confidence and performance both on the field and in life. It is our responsibility, along with the student-athlete and parent/guardian, to ensure that our athlete’s have available the resources needed to help them succeed in the classroom.
2016 JJV Football
ATLANTIC SHORES PLAYER EXPECTATIONS
1. EACH STUDENT-ATHLETE IS EXPECTED TO BRING GLORY TO GOD BY STRIVING FOR EXCELLENCE IN ALL WE DO AND REPRESENT THE SEAHAWK FOOTBALL TEAM IN A POSITIVE MANNER.
2. EACH STUDENT-ATHLETE WILL STRIVE FOR ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE IN THE CLASS ROOM. OUR TEAM GOAL IS A 90% TEAM GPA.
3. EACH STUDENT-ATHLETE WILL DEMONSTRATE COMMITMENT TO THE SEAHAWK FOOTBALL PROGRAM BY ATTENDING ALL PRACTICES ON TIME.
4. EACH STUDENT-ATHLETE WILL MAINTAIN POSITIVE INTERACTION WITH ADULTS IN AND AROUND OUR PROGRAM (TEACHERS, ADMINISTRATORS, COACHES, AND FANS).
5. EACH STUDENT-ATHLETE WILL MAINTAIN POSITIVE INTERACTION WITH FELLOW TEAMMATES. WE ARE NOT THE ENEMY.
6. EACH STUDENT-ATHLETE WILL STRIVE FOR EXCELLENCE IN THE WEIGHTROOM, ON THE PRACTICE FIELD, AND IN THE GAME. YOU WILL COMPETE AT ALL TIMES.
7. NEVER SAY I CAN’T. SEE PHILLIPIANS 4:13.
This past season we studied the book of Nehemiah as a team. We learned how God enabled Nehemiah to rebuild the once great city of Jerusalem thru Prayer, wisdom and leadership…. This study did not only pertain to where we were as a team but individually as well. Nehemiah faced many ups and downs in his life at this time. He provided a great example of godly character under immense pressure and great focus while dealing with a variety of problems and adversaries… Coaches and players alike learned from his example.
-Wayne Lance, Head Varsity Coach